EU Pet Travel after Brexit. January 2021 onwards


To Travel to the EU or Northern Ireland with your pet you will need a Animal Health Certificate. Please read blelow what is involved.


-Your dog, cat, or ferret must be microchipped

-Your pet must be vaccinated against rabies (they need to be at least 12 weeks of age to  have the vaccination). You can travel into the EU or Northern Ireland from 21days after vaccination with a completed AHC.

-The AHC  is valid for travel into the EU or Northern Ireland for up10 days after the date of issue.

-You will need a new AHC for each trip that you take. Unlike a pet passport, the AHC is not valid for multiple uses.

-Once you have entered the EU or Northern Ireland, the AHC is then valid for four months after the date of issue, permitting travel between other EU countries during the same trip. It is then permitted for entry back into the UK.

-An AHC can only be issued by an ‘Official Vet’ (OV). Please call to arrange as far in advance as possible so we can make sure an OV is available.

-Dogs must also be treated for tapeworm before re-entry into the UK by a vet. The treatment must be approved for use in the country that it’s administered in and must be given no less than 24 hours and no more than five days before entering the UK. You don’t need to treat your dog for tapeworm if you’re traveling from Finland, Northern Ireland, Malta or Norway.

-If you are traveling to Ireland, Northern Ireland, Finland or Malta you will need an appointment at the vets within 1 to 5 days of travel for tapeworm treatment to be done. We recommend 3-4 days.

-There is no requirement for a blood test after the rabies vaccination. Should your rabies vaccination lapse, you will need to re-start the vaccination and wait 21 days for the AHC.

-Traveling is only allowed for five pets, different guidelines apply if more pets  and you should contact the Pet Travel helpline (0370 2411710)

-If you are traveling through or to non-EU countries please contact the Pet Travel helpline to find out travel requirements for those countries. 

For information on the Pet Travel Scheme in Northern Ireland, read pet travel guidance from the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA).

Pet travel helpline

Contact the pet travel helpline if you need more help:


Telephone: 0370 241 1710 Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5pm (closed on bank holidays)

Homepage  •   Contact   •   Sitemap

©2024 Ardmore Veterinary Group Ltd Registered in England, company number 5937255

P 01787 372588  E

Website by: